RE: TR6 Starter Click Nothing, Update

To: "Alex Cherington" <a_flying_scotsman@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Starter Click Nothing, Update
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:25:16 -0400
This sounds like a bad contact. There is a spade connector on one side
of the solenoid that sits just under the exhaust manifold. Over the
years this gets gummed up with crud and baked and if it is not making
good contact you will get the symptoms you describe, click but no turn.
Often removing that spade connector, cleaning it up and maybe
straightening things out a little is all you need to do.

Stan

<snip>
So.....

I took the starter out. It turned fine and moved out
on the shaft fine. I tested it on the floor with
jumper cables to a different battery and it spun and
moved out perfectly.

So......

I refitted it and guess what?

Works fine.

I know what I think. Something was stuck and it freed
upon removal.

Any other ideas???

</snip>