Questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Questions
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:40:47 -0700
Hi folks,
        We have been fighting the results of our eBay purchase since
January ... not PayPal nor the Seller ... just trying to fix all the
things that were wrong.   Rosey (1970 TR65) was/is beautiful, but it
was only skin deep.  All the mechanicals needed serious attention.
        We have finally got to the brakes and carbs.  Everything, and
I mean everything, in the brake system is now new.  And the brakes
work great ... most of the  time ... occasionally after a run it
takes a quick pump to bring the pedal back up.   OK, OK everything
did not include the front rotors, caused they "looked good".  I seem
to recall that you can some times have a rotor that is
"bent/warped/out of round", which causes the pistons to move back
into the caliper and then you lose pedal on the first application ...
True?  False?
        If True  ... how do you check, dial indicator?  or would you
just replace the rotors on the assumption that everything else on the
car was toast and they probably are too  ... 'tis a puzzlement ...
        CARBS  ... just had the strombergs rebuilt  ...
professionally  ... now we cannot get them to idle correctly, as is
idle speed is close to 3000 rpm!!  I have checked all the linkages
and reset them to factory specs, and that helped a little, but I
notice that when the throttle is released the throttle shafts from
both carbs do not go all the way "home" . If I pull up on the
connecting shaft the carbs idle normally, punch the throttle and you
have the 3000 rpm idle again.  I "fixed" it long enough to get to the
Ironstone Concours by installing a strong spring from the middle
valve cover bolt to the, for want of a better  word, uplink shaft.
This  works and was OK at Ironstone, they don't do engine
compartments there, but not OK for me and the coming true concours at
Serrano.
        It seems to me the the small coil springs on each throttle
shaft are not strong enough ... and/or the throttle shafts are too
tight.
        Well that is my story and I am sticking to it.   Any
help/ideas gratefully accepted.

Thanks for your time

--
Bill  Pugh