RE: dashpot leak

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: dashpot leak
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:02:26 -0800
        Michael:

        Low dashpot oil normally does not result in fouling, instead
you get a stumble or "flat spot" as you pull away from a stop because
the air valve rises too quickly and the mixture goes lean.
        The slow loss of dashpot oil is due to the fact that the o-ring
that seals the needle adjuster in the bottom of the air valve is
old, dried out and incontinent. Sorta like me.
        The o-ring is nothing special, and can be had at any good
hardware store for a few pennies. You will need to remove the air
valves from the carbs, remove the set screw that secures the needle
in the slide, fully loosen the needle adjuster, remove the needle
(DON'T bend it!!!) and then push the adjuster up through the air
valve from the bottom. You can then replace the o-ring and
reassemble.
        You will need to reset your mixture when you are done, of
course. My carbs had the same issue, and new o-rings fixed it right
up. Figure that every piece of rubber in your car is dried up and
worn out, or about to wear out. So any time you have something apart,
replace any rubber or gaskets you find because they are ready to let
go. The adjuster o-ring is just one example.

        Cheers,

        Vance