Carburetor adjustment

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Carburetor adjustment
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:46:54 EST
Listers:

I hope you are having a very happy Christmas day.

I would appreciate some help on (again) carburetor adjustment.  I have  read
the Haynes carb manual and Nelson Riedel's articles for background.

First, I was having some problems with my front carb running rich.   After
checking it out thoroughly, the only problem I found was a leaking O-ring
which
led to loss of dashpot oil.  I ignored that problem for a while and  adjusted
the mixture so that all 6 plugs had the correct color and the car ran  nicely.

Yesterday, I took apart the top of the carb and replaced the O-ring with  one
from the hardware store.  That solved the dashpot leak.  The  diaphragm
looked very good, perhaps replaced by the PO.  I reassembled the  air valve,
carefully checking that the needle retracted and extended with  the adjustment
tool.
 I reassembled the carburetor top, making sure that  the 2 vent slots were on
the manifold side.  I made sure the carburetor top  was replace in its
original position.  The air valve opened and shut  nicely.  I followed Nelson's
advice and screwed the needle position to  maximum clockwise (full rich), then
backed off 1 full turn.  I  warmed up the car, then cleaned the plugs to make
sure that they had a good  baseline appearance.  I synchronized the carbs with
the tube method (works  for me) and set the idle.  Then I tried the air
valve/screwdriver method to  check the mixture on the front carb, but I never
can seem
to get reliable  information from that test.  Finally, I buttoned it up and
took it for a  test drive.  The car bucked and sputtered on acceleration under
load from  2000-3000 rpm.  From Nelson's article, that indicates a lean
mixture, so I  pulled out the choke and it seemed to get  a little bit better,
but
not  much.  I richened it by 1/2 turn.  No change.  Then I tried the  opposite,
going back to baseline and then leaning it by 1/2 turn.  No  change.  I have
tinkered with it for the better part of 2 day trying  different mixture
settings, but to no avail.  I took the air valve apart  again to look for
problems
with the way I assembled it, but it looks good.   And I will say that the
dashpot oil leak is fixed!

Any suggestions?  The car will start fine, run smoothly until I  put my foot
into the throttle, then buck, stumble, and sometimes backfire when I  do so.
I'm frankly surprised that having only one carb misadjusted could  make it run
so badly.  Plugs 4-6 continue to be picture-perfect.   Plugs 1-3 seem to get
a modest black coating, but not too bad, and it hasn't  changed on the short
test drives I have been taking.  The car runs so badly  that I hesitate to take
it for a longer test drive.

Thanks as always.

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue