Re: Head Question?

To: John & Allison Cyganowski <janah@att.net>
Subject: Re: Head Question?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:59 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, John & Allison Cyganowski wrote:

> Hi All-

Hi,

> How much does the TR6 head weigh?

HEAVY. They can weigh about 60 pounds fully "dressed".

> What is a "Circle B" head?

There were several foundries that made TR6 heads (actually they heads are
Triumph 2500 heads), and each foundry case a different mark on the head,
the marks that I've seen are "block N", and "circle b", there are
others... I think at least four foundries. The casting marks are at the
front right corner... next to where the #1 exhaust valve spring.

Circle B heads have a scoll-ly B (sort of like the Bentley B) with a
circle around it.

Circle B heads are sought after because they are cast thicker than the
other foundries, at least according to legend. This thicker casting only
matters is you intend to make an all-out race motor and you significantly
hog out the head (porting). For well more than 99% of the TR6 folks out
there, the existance of the Circle B heads vs. anything else really is
meaningless unless you're going for bragging rights. In other words, if
you have one, great. If not, don't pay more for a Circle B head because
you won't get any benefit from ownership of same. I'm also talking about
motors with more than 12:1 compression too.

Seriously, leave the Circle B heads for the folks that actually need them

> John Cyg

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx