Overdrive conversion problem

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive conversion problem
From: Jay Snable <jsnable@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:42:07 -0800
Hi all,

I bought one of John Esposito's J-type conversion kits for my '73. I
have emailed him the following a couple of times, but haven't heard
back. He may be off for the holidays, so I thought I would see if
anyone on the list has had a similar issue...

I bought one of your kits via eBay and have been working away on my
transmission ('73 TR6). I am having trouble getting the correct end
float for the 2nd/3rd gear bushings. The transmission (a relatively
fresh TRF rebuild) originally had a 0.128" adjustment washer fitted,
which was way too thick for the new mainshaft. I then ordered 0.122"
and 0.119" washers and still had less than zero clearance with the
0.122". The 0.119" was backordered, but the fact I couldn't even get
the clip in its slot with the 0.122" washer told me I wouldn't have
the 0.003" minimum float with a 0.119" washer. I ended up measuring
the total available clearance with the two bushes, sectioned washer
and clip on the shaft. While not too exact due to the fact I combined
feeler gages to do it, the measurement was 0.117". The bushes measure
1.1282" (top hat) and 1.223" (both 1st and 3rd gear bushes).

I have been following Nelson's rebuild article, fabricating the tools
and everything. It has gone very smoothly up until this point!

Thanks,

Jay