ignition timing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: ignition timing
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:06:48 EST
Listers:

After all the rough-running problems related to carburetion that I was
experiencing a couple of weeks ago, I finally gave up and took the '76 into a
good
mechanic.  I got it back today, running and accelerating  smoothly.  I didn't
get a really good explanation as to what was wrong with  the carburetor
settings, except that he adjusted and balanced both carbs and the
bucking/backfiring went away.

Anyway, the point of this post is that he noticed that the timing was set  on
the car, presumably by the P.O., at 14 degrees BTDC.  This is a heavily
modified motor with high compression, aggressive cam, headers, lightened
flywheel, etc.  The mechanic set the timing to spec, which is 4 degress  ATDC
according to a sticker on the underside of the hood.  Although the car  is
smooth, it
feels noticeably weaker to me than it did before the timing change  (and
before the carbs got screwed up).  It just has a "sluggish"  feel.  The car did
not
"ping" or detonate before on premium fuel with the  advanced timing.

Should I advance the timing in steps to see what happens?  As long as  I
don't hear detonation, is there any problem with doing so?  What timing
settings
would be expected for optimal performance on 93 octane fuel with a  motor like
mine?

Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue