RE: DUMB quesion

To: "Dr L. Kevin McNelis" <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>
Subject: RE: DUMB quesion
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:02:05 -0800
        Kevin:

        You don't say what year your car is, but based on your
description, the mark at 4 degrees is on the ATDC side of TDC.

        What trips many people up is that they set the timing at the
factory recommended 4 ATDC with the vacuum line connected, but the
vacuum capsule on the distributor is dead. Under these conditions the
timing is then 14 degrees retarded from the correct timing.
        The safest way to set the timing is to disconnect the vacuum
capsule, and set the timing at 10 BTDC. Then reconnect the vacuum line.
If the capsule is dead, the timing is still correct, and if the capsule
is working the timing is still correct (it will retard to 4 ATDC when
the capsule is reconnected).
        AFTER setting the timing and reconnecting the vacuum line, you
should set your idle speed.

        Vance