Re: DUMB question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DUMB question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:29:01 -0800
DR. L---An easy reminder as to which side of the "ZERO" the other mark
is:
The engine runs in the Clockwise direction, so the Before mark passes
the indicating pointer first, as the pulley turns.
The "other" heavy mark on the pulley comes After the Zero mark, so this
is the 4 deg. mark that indicates the factory designated spec of 4 deg.
ATDC that they recommend setting the idle timing. (Vacuum retard
connected, of course)
To sum, the other mark is on the After side!

Dick
From: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu(Dr L. Kevin McNelis) DUMB quesion
I know, I know. Dumb. But I can't figure it out. I'm having timing
troubles, and I've worked all morning and just confused myself. I have a
Crane XP3000, the one with the LED to tell you when the plug fires. I
have follwed the directions for static timing to a T, I thought. But
then, when I use my timing light, the thing reads waaaayyyy off the
scale- the timing marks on the little pulley thing are over to the side.
So, here is the dumb question- there is a very heavy mark at TDC, right?
Then there is another heavy mark at 4 degrees.

Is that other mark on the BEFORE side, or the AFTER side?