Subject: Re: Brake fluid removal

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, tr6nut@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Subject: Re: Brake fluid removal
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:14:45 -0500
"I am of the opinion that
Silicone Fluids derive from the aircraft industry. If that's true do
the large aircraft that I fly in sometimes also employ anti-lock
systems. I am also of the opinion that they do. So if Silicone is bad
for anti-lock how do the aircraft guys get by?"

I'm a commercial airline pilot. I don't have a categorical answer for your
question, but every large airliner I'm familiar with has ABS, and they all use
3000 psi hydraulic fluid to actuate the brakes. I have no idea if aviation
hydraulic fluids, such as Skydrol, are petroleum or synthetic base, but I would
wager that our ABS cycles much more slowly than most automotive systems.
Perhaps foaming in high-periodicity auto ABS is the issue? It's fun to discuss
all this, but I think I'd heed the warning label on the DOT 5 can regardless of
how this thread turns out...

Cheers, Tom Marincic
CC55483L

http://www.triumphowners.com/735