Re: Clutchs Laycock & Borg & Beck

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutchs Laycock & Borg & Beck
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:03:32 -0800
 John---I have found the "flat fingered" B&B pressure plate to be
lacking in clamping force. The "cranked fingered" and Blue Dot is up to
the task
The small difference in frictional area should not be a concern.
Apparantly there are many TRs running with a mixed set of Laycock and
B&B, with no problem because of the mix.

The circular groove seen in your old pressure plate (fingers) is common,
and caused by two things:... The throwout bearing making initial contact
with the spinning clutch, and the wiping of the fingers as the clutch
dis/engages.  Installing the Gunst with the preload strap and spring
will minimize this wear.

You should be fine with what you are planning to install.

Dick

From: janah@att.net(John & Allison Cyganowski) (6pack) Subject:
Clutchs Laycock & Borg & Beck
Hi All-
(clipped).
...I was out the the garage b.) The clutch plate is a Borg and Beck with
the straight fingers. There is a pronounced circular wear groove on the
fingers. c.) I may have had some oil leakage on the clutch and plate.
....It seems to me that the new B&B clutch has nearly 5% less frictional
area than the Laycock. Am I splitting hairs here?

My new B&B pressure plate has cranked fingers and a blue spot. What is
the difference between a blue spot and a yellow spot clutch?
Thanks
John Cyg.
CC52927LO