RE: Clutchs Laycock & Borg & Beck

To: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>,
Subject: RE: Clutchs Laycock & Borg & Beck
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:20:15 -0800
        John:

        The yellow spot was the original specification for the TR6, and
matches
the OEM Laycock specification for clamping force, pedal pressure, etc
very
closely. The demand for the yellow spot declined over the years, so Borg
& Beck
dropped the yellow spot and substituted the blue spot spec for the TR6
to simplify
their product line. The blue spot was used in a Ford van, and so there
is a lot
higher demand for it. The Blue spot has a slightly higher pedal pressure
and
clamping force. John Williams says the difference is nothing to be
concerned about.
        I am running a NOS yellow spot B&B. Other TR6 drivers have
commented how
light the clutch pedal feels. I have no personal experience with any
other
clutches, so I cannot say if it is the clutch, or very careful setup
that makes
the difference. My clutch engages about 3/4 of the way up from the floor
and is
very nice. I am running DOT 5 fluid, with a new stock throw out bearing
(RMB?),
B&B yellow spot clutch and pressure plate. I cross drilled the fork and
drove in
a 3/16" roll pin, and used a new fork pin. I polished my front cover
with
400 grit, and used a tiny amount of grease on it.
        Anyway, if you can find a NOS yellow spot, it will reduce your
pedal
pressure a bit.

        Vance