RE: Knockoff parts

To: "'Rick'" <patton@suscom-maine.net>, "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Knockoff parts
From: "Mike Munson" <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:54:20 -0500
As someone who has taken on a project like that (Rear disc brake brackets),
It burns me up to know that some one has done this.

I bought several of them from you and they are quality products.

I WOULD ENCOURAGE ANY ONE ON THE LIST TO BUY A FAN ELIMINATION KIT ONLY FROM
RICK.

What are snow angels? It was 63 and sunny here today. (I had to rub it in!)

Mike

Subject: Knockoff parts

As many of you know I have been supplying TR6 fan eliminator kits for
several years now.
Yesterday I learned that my design, product, and even product name is being
sold on ebay by another. Needless to say the news is discouraging. I emailed
the seller and received a note saying, "Last time I checked we live in a
free market economy, you afraid of competition? You don't even market on
E-bay." I have since asked for his name but there has been no reply. He is
known as sjd1198 from Ankeny, Iowa.

To me a free market economy doesn't give one the right to steal another's
work. With a limited and shrinking market for Triumph innovations,
supporting this practice will only discourage new development, not only by
me but other suppliers as well. You ask, "why not protect your work with a
patent?" What are the chances that any strictly Triumph item can garner
enough sales to support patenting at a cost of over $10K?

Granted these are small items and the dollars aren't huge but to me it's a
matter of principle.

Ok rant off. Down off the soapbox. Time to go make some snow angels.

Rick Patton