Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems Part 2

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems Part 2
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:48:00 -0400
  Continued from Part 1....(pictures at triumphowners.com/108)

 After discussing and brainstorming Rick suggested a length of 3/4 square inch
metal tubing could be welded high up on the shock mount and angled down and
bolted to the frame, effectively stopping any backward movement of the shock
mount. Since I am planning on rebuilding a spare frame I have and transferring
the body over hopefully next year we plan to leave the repair as is for right
now, keep and eye on it, and make the modifications to the new frame.

 Now I hate to say something bad about someone who has worked to make
improvements for these cars but I think it is important to let others know so
they can be well informed and to make sure they have no problems. I have tried
twice to get in touch with Mr. Horton regarding this problem. I emailed him at
the email provided at his web site: http://www.geocities.com/johnehorton/ I did
not receive any response. Not too long ago he posted an email to the list
saying that he had a spare TR6 hardtop to sell. I responded to that email, to
the same email address and received no response. On this list in the past I
have recommended this product and feel that is only right to give the other
side if I know about it. My post to him was not negative, nor did I ask for a
refund or any money back. I made him aware of the problem and suggested a
modification that I thought would work.

 My suggestion would be that if you have this conversion, check to see if you
have any damage, and have someone push down on the bumper while you watch for
movement of the shock mount. If you are considering buying this conversion, or
have bought it but not installed it, carefully inspect the condition of the
frame on your car and consider boxing in the bottom of the differential bracket
and/or adding a brace to the bracket for additional support.

 Aaron
    Aaron Cropley
 71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
 http://www.triumphowners.com/108