Re: [6pack] Fuse box upgrade suggestions

To: John VanNorman <jvannorman@wowway.com>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Fuse box upgrade suggestions
From: Dale <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:34:34 -0700 (PDT)
John & all

  In Dan's book he talks about and has available the "Custom Wiring Panel".
This is for updating the whole wiring harness for more accessories. Items, such
as the fuse box can be upgraded as a stand alone unit with out modifying the
wiring harness.

  At my local Auto Zone they carry the raised spade fuse holders that can snap
together an hold 4 fuses in each one. Take two of these and you have 8 fuses.

  I will tell I made up the custom panel to Dan's specs and have not had a
problemin the 3 years my car has been back on the road.

  Basically you can split the green wires from the fuse box to make two fuses,
one for wipers and relate items and the other for heater, turn signals, OD
switch, and temp & fuel gage by just unplugging from the old box and plugging
into the new holder. You would still use the white wire as a power source for
this fuses.

  That would leave two fuses to split the front marker lights from the back
lights and gage illumination, power source the Red/green wire.

  This leave you four fuses and their plug ins for all the purple wires, You
can mix and match what you want on any one fuse. The power source for these
would be your brown wires.

  Mounting could be accomplished in the same area. Divide and concur is always
easier when trouble shooting electrical problems.

  Dale

John VanNorman <jvannorman@wowway.com> wrote:
  List,

I was reading in the "How to Improve the TR6" book about the fuse box upgrade
options, which obviously got me thinking
about it. My wiring harness is in pretty good shape and I'm not planning on
adding any major electrical additions other
than a modern stereo and the sealed halogen headlights from NAPA that a lot of
you have recommended. Would upgrading or
changing the fuse box be anything worth considering? I guess a box that uses
spade fuses would be nice since both of my
"non-fun" cars use spade fuses (that way I can just keep a bunch of the same
style fuses around). And being able to add
a few more fuses to items that currently don't have fuses (such as the
headlights) wouldn't be bad.

If so, any recommended suppliers other than what is mentioned in the book? I
haven't looked to see if Dan Master has
anything on this yet.

John V.
1974 1/2 TR6