Re: [6pack] HVDA Question

To: gln@worldpath.net (Nick Gemas)
Subject: Re: [6pack] HVDA Question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:13:31 -0700
 Nick---Most of us that have done the HVDA conversion like the reduced
pedal travel for the same reason that you don't like it!  There is a
simple fix for this, in the event that you want to feel the clutch pedal
go deeper towards the floor. Here's how:

Take out the MC pushrod and cut a piece out of the middle. The amount
you cut out will depend on where you want the clutch to dis/engage.
Braze the two halves back together.

Or...Make the pushrod adjustable, by threading the open ends after
cutting in half. Use a long nut (there's a name for these long nuts, but
it escapes me) to adjust the length of this rod to suit yourself.

Or...There's an adjustable pushrod on the market that's supposed to be
for the Slave Cylinder stroke. It really does no good due to the
hydraulic action down at the SC, but its adjustable feature might work
at the MC.

It's easier to just cut and rejoin this rod. I actually went the
opposite way several years ago and extended this rod to get more stroke.
(Limited sucess in doing so)

Dick
From:
gln@worldpath.net(Nick Gemas)

BlankHi guys,
        I'm just finishing up my long awaited 5spd HVDA
conversion and I'm pretty bummed out. I purchased the conversion from
Herman with the hydraulic throwout conversion. I'm bummed because I just
hooked up the hydraulic throwout and I only have 1 1/2" total pedal
travel !! What's up with that? I'm pretty sure it's working and adjusted
properly since it engages and disengages the clutch ok. Although I
haven't driven the car yet, I don't think I can ever get used to that
kind of clutch pedal travel. I driven at least a hundred manual
transmission cars in my life and never had so little clutch pedal
travel. It seems ridiculous.Anyone else out there install the same kit
with the hydraulic throwout bearing? Any input would really be
appreciated.
Nick Gemas