Re: [6pack] Re: Front Brake Calipers

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Re: Front Brake Calipers
From: "John Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:38:21 -0400
Sure.

The original dustboots look like flat hollow dough-nuts that were open at
the inside hole.

The pistons had a small slot milled around the circumference of the piston
just blow the edge that contacts the brake pad.  The piston sits in the
caliper and protrudes from the body of the cylinder. The dough-nut hole part
of the dustboot fits around the piston.  The bottom edge of the dough-nut
hole rides freely on the piston, while the top edge (supposedly) fits into
the narrow slot milled into the piston. So 3 issues here.

1.) My dustboots appeared to be made of vinyl.  It was stiff and not
stretchy.  It was exceedingly difficult to get the edge of the dustboot to
sit in the slot evenly. So maybe the dustboot here is the problem.

2.) The bottom edge of the simply rides up and own on the piston, there is
no positive seal to keep water out. My personal opinion of this is that it
is a cheesey system for a mission critical component.

3.) The outer edge of the dustboot appears to extend far enough to cause
clearance issues with the pins that hold the calipers in.

I was pretty bummed out with this arrangement. I went this way because I
have 16P calipers and my car is an early one and I wanted the correct
set-up.

The late pistons are different.  These is a wide slot milled into that top
edge of the piston.  The dust boot is more like a cap.  The inner edge snaps
into the slot easily and holds firmly.  The bottom edge of the dustboot goes
arouns the metal ridge cast into the caliper that runs concentrically around
the cylinder hole. A metal ring snaps on to the bottom part of the dustboot
positvely holding ot the metal ridge.  In my opinion a better system.  It
should be said that the dustboots for this re-build kit were made of rubber
and work well.

After having found this stuff out the heard way, I rand across Nelson
Reidel's caliper re-build article.  He documented this stuff pretty well.
Too bad the artcles were taken down.

Regards,
John Cyg.

PS How have you been Bob?  I have not seen may posts from you lately. Hope
things are well.