[6pack] TR6 "revitalization" report

To: 6 Pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>, Triumph List
Subject: [6pack] TR6 "revitalization" report
From: Joe Merone <jmerone@rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
All:

My TR6 revitalization "don't call it a restoration" is
now finally complete - sort of.  If you'll indulge me
a minute I'd like to do a brain dump to the list as a
bit of self-cleansing and as a thank you for the input
received from many of you along the way.

Through 22 years of ownership, Trevor has always been
a driver and rolling restoration for me - a true 10
footer.  You know that list of things you've done to
the car that just goes on and on and on?  The one you
look back on and say "holy crap!"  Well, I've done it
all over that time, usually by myself.  Twice.

So this year, after acquiring numerous fenders,
bumpers, chrome, and interior pieces, it was once
again time to pull the trigger and "get 'er done" so
to speak.  The plan was to contribute as much sweat
equity into the project as I could - to enable the
budget to remain in some sort of check while also
learning a thing or two along the way.

In late February I woke the car up early from it's
winter hibernation and drove it home right after our
record 30-inch snowfall.  You should see the beautiful
picture of my bright red car against high white
snowbanks in the driveway.  I then proceeded to strip
the body panels and everything else off of it.  It was
dirty work, but lots of fun actually.  Who knew how
many impossibly tight spaces, rusty bolts, and gobs of
gooey undercoating could be on one little car?  That
took three weeks.  Then it was off to the body and
paint man for the major work.  Four weeks with him.  I
drove it home the five miles to my house on a 25
degree day without an interior, windshield, or lights.
Just dropped a drivers seat on the floor and watched
the prop shaft go round and round. That was pretty
fun.  But when I got home the REAL fun began.

Reassembling everything isn't nearly as cool as taking
it apart. I was told that I should double or triple
however long I thought that it would take.  Make that
four or five times.  Frustration grew (see below) as I
watched the pages on the calendar turn and I was stuck
in the garage.  It's still going on.  I even spent
three hours today out in the 95 degree sun finishing
up the installation of my new top.  But finally,
FINALLY, I think that I'm done.  For now anyway.

Did I mention that I also purchased a Herman Van Den
Akker Toyota 5-speed conversion?  After years of
coveting an overdrive or a five speed, I convinced
myself that now was the time to put one in.  Lower RPM
high-speed cruising was just around the bend.  How
hard could it all be?  Plenty hard.  More to come on
that issue in a future e-mail.

Here's the list of new parts and work done:
- 4 new fenders
- new rear deck body panel
- new splash panels
- floor pans and rockers replaced or repaired
- DuPont paint job (Joe's special red)
- new rear bumper
- door hinges
- numerous chrome strips and trim pieces
- wool carpet set
- interior panel kit
- all new rubber seals
- new seat diaphragms and foam
- canvas top
- lenses, wiring, electricals cleaned up or replaced
- HVDA 5-speed conversion

Gotta' go out for a drive now and chase down those
Healeys.

Joe Merone
CF18928
Good to go for another 22 years