[6pack] roll bar theory

To: "marty sukey" <trmarty@hotmail.com>, "Robert Lang"
Subject: [6pack] roll bar theory
From: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:07:41 -0700
I wonder if anyone has calculated the roll moment for a TR6.  What speed
would be required to cause a roll from a sideways slide that is abruptly
stopped by a curb or shorter impediment.  Certainly what is stopping the
car will determine what speed going to take to get it over it but it
seems like this should be a simple physics problem. Count me out on
attempting it though.

I understand a roll bar in competition and autocross but if I roll it on
a mountain road, I don't think the roll bar is going to save me.  As I
go shooting off the road, I hope my last thought isn't thank God I have
that roll bar!

Bob Clark
 '69 TR6

PS  All observations of driving practices assume a reasonable person and
exclude anyone under the age of 30.

        I ran a national level event this past weekend. Yesterday
somebody in my run group rolled their Mini. Smooth surface, nothing to
hook on. it is making me think real serously about that pretend roll bar
in my car. My better half was at the event to see the rollover, it was
pretty dramatic. I think her being there to see it answered any question
about my installing a real roll bar though. She voiced her opinion on
the way home:)

        Marty