RE: [6pack] Electric O.D. and speedometer

To: "Charlene Lowe" <bclo@execpc.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Electric O.D. and speedometer
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:14:24 -0700
        Charlene:

        It is all but impossible to explain both quitting at the same
time with a single cause.

        I suppose some chunk of road debris could have flown up under
the car and taken out both the solenoid wire and the speedo cable at the
same time, but it seems very unlikely. In any event, you can be assured
that two separate things will need to be repaired. The OD failure is
most likely electric, the speedometer failure can only be mechanical -
since it is a mechanical drive system for the speedo.

        If it is any consolation, my car quit last Friday; the starter
makes a horrific chattering noise and the car will not start. Battery
tests good, bypassing the starter relay makes no difference, big loud
noise and no start. The engine is not turning over at all. Solenoid,
starter motor, or perhaps the ring gear. Sigh. Anyway, we can
commiserate on our toys being broken. <mumble>

        Will be under the car this weekend,

        Vance