[6pack] Looking for SU Needles

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Looking for SU Needles
From: dmo <osternd@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:51:14 -0400
I'm trying to do an SU HS6 conversion on my '76 TR6 and am in need of
some needles for modification.  Wonder if anyone might have a set of
used ones that they would like to part with.  Surface condition is not
too critical as they will be shaved down, but do need to be straight.
They also need to be the spring loaded type, 0.100".  I modified a set
of BDB needles but went a tad too far and am running a bit richer than I
would like.  For some reason, it seems to be easier to go richer than
leaner!  The profile ended up being similar to a BCM needle, though
richer.  So, anything leaner than BCM or similar should work.

This has been an interesting project so far.  The carbs are AUD678 from
a Triumph 2500, with two different float bowls, the rear one being 1/4"
higher than the front.  Apparently the 2500 engine sits at an angle, and
the different rear bowl compensates for that.  Guess that makes sense
why the rear carb flooded on my car.  However, with that replaced, it
seems the fuel level is awfully low (~1/2" below the top of the jet).
Floats are not adjustable, so I have some large O-rings to raise the
float lid which will hopefully also raise the level to something more
reasonable.  Other than that, it's been a straightforward conversion.
If only it would run . . .  lol!

I also did an HS4 conversion on my Spit with modified needles - pretty
straightforward and works great (once I got the needles dialed in)

Any help on the needles would be appreciated.  Please contact me off line.

TIA!

Dale O
osternd@copper.net
'76 TR6