RE: [6pack] A-Type in a late Car

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] A-Type in a late Car
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:18:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Navarrette, Vance wrote:

>       Todd:
>
>       You are sooo right. I did have it backwards. J-type in a early
> frame is messy, A-Type in an later frame is OK. Yeah, that's it. Whew. I
> think I will go take a nap now.

ZzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZ

Huh?

>       As for cutting down the input shaft, they are hardened so they
> cannot be machined (or so I have been told). I suppose it could be
> annealed, then machined, then re-hardened? I am out of my element
> now.... Is there a machinist out there who can comment on this? Kai?
> Anybody?

You shouldn't cut the shaft, you are right it is hardened.

However, you can grind if if needed. Turns out that if the protrusion is
only a "tad" (like 1/4 inch), then just leave it. It'll probably fit.

The race guys use the dolomite sprint input shaft, and it runs long like
the TR3 input shaft does. It has the same dimensions as the early TR6
input shaft, so it should "just fit".

Regarding grinding, once you cut beyond the hardening, you lose the
strength, so you don't want to take too much.

Alternately, if you have a TR6 input shaft, you can swap that into the
tranny as long as you have the proper layshaft constant motion gear (aka
4th)

>       Thanks,
>
>       Vance

c ya,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489