RE: [6pack] shocks

To: "CARL CARLSON" <actionsl@mindspring.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] shocks
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:26:22 -0700
        Carl:

        The current thinking is that some designs result in the shock
bottoming out when fully compressed, and this causes frame cracking.
Also to be avoided are designs that attach to the body tub.
        The preferred design seems to be one that attaches only to the
frame and trailing arm, and has a shock length and travel such that when
fully compressed the suspension bottoms out on the factory rubber bump
stop, rather than the shock itself.
        I *SUPPOSE* that you might get away with a longer shock if you
also uprated the rear springs so that the suspension seldom bottoms out
- but it seems that sooner or later you would accumulated enough wear
that the frame would start to crack, even with uprated springs.

        All IMHO, of course.

        Vance