[6pack] Gunst & Borg & Beck Update

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Gunst & Borg & Beck Update
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:33:56 -0400
 Hi List,

As promised I wanted to update everyone on the results of installing a Borg &
Beck bent finger clutch with the Gunst bearing.? It has been about 500 miles
since the new J-Type OD was installed and I am happy to report that to this
point there is no problems with the installation or the combination of
components.? I did take great care to install the clutch using the included
dowel pins to make sure everything was in the right position and I did use a
clutch centering tool also.? I can detect no noise coming from the clutch nor
any squealing.? The feel is a bit different than before but it hasnt been
difficult adjusting to the change.? The clutch is much easier to operate and
the point where the clutch catches is quite a bit higher than before (it caught
as it left the floor before the Gunst).? The flywheel was lightened and to me
the car seems to rev faster, though not all that much.

The only problem I have had is shifting into third gear if I really run hard
through the gears.? If I do then there is a little bit of a grind right as I
shift into third.? This doesnt happen if the car has just been started up.? It
doesnt happen if I shift slowly and am careful to make sure I shift all the way
to the right before moving the gear shift forward to engage 3rd gear.

I suspect the problem is the syncro for that gear.? I did replace the syncros
when I put the OD in but they were a set from ebay and though they looked just
fine when compared to the old ones I wonder if there s a problem with the 3rd
gear syncro.

Any and all opinions and/or comments are welcome.

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108