Re: [6pack] Crankshafts & Pilot Bushings

To: janah@att.net (John Cyganowski)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Crankshafts & Pilot Bushings
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:55:18 -0800
John C.---Sounds like a drawing got out that had the wrong OD for the
pilot bushing. I don't think any TR flywheel would accept a bushing that
was 1.010. (Good job on turning down the OD on the ones sent to you.)
 There should be no problem when using the bushing that is only .455
deep. It will support the tranny shaft just fine.
You are correct in that the bushing should be a slip fit in the
flywheel. When the bushing "floats" it should last twice as long as one
that doesn't float.

Dick

Sender: m.net From: janah@att.net(John Cyganowski)

I may be a little late on this but for what it is worth.....

...There was a slight bit of wear on the edge of the hole in the bushing
where the mainshaft of the transmission is supported, so I decided to
replace the bushing. I ordered the the correct short bushing from Vicky
Brit and it was different! The bushing should fit into the engine side
of the flywheel. I do not think it is supposed to be a press fit, rather
I think it is supposed to slide in. The OD of the new bushing was
0.005-0.010" wider than the old bushing (1.000") and it would not fit
into the flywheel. Additionally, the old bushing was 0.500" thick. The
new bushing was 0.455" thick. Thinking I just got a bad bushing, I
ordered another one from Rimmer Bros. It was the same as the one from
Vicky Brit. Basically it does not fit either. Rimmer was not much help.
They could not explain the difference in the bushing sizes. So I made a
chuck from a bolt and a couple of grommets, chucked the new bushing into
the drill and turned it down using some fine grit sand paper. So now the
new bushing fits inside of the flywheel, but it seems a little short

...and I really do not know what I will do - use the old bushing or try
the new modified one.
John Cyg.