[6pack] TR250 starting issues

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] TR250 starting issues
From: "Steve Lindquist" <lindquistse@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:17:14 -0500
I last queried the list about getting my TR250 started in Early December.
Vance gave me a "to check" list and the results are:

1)       6 new plugs, all gapped to .025"

2)       Cap and rotor.  My distributor is a 22D, cap and rotor are new from
TRF, Lucas DDB117.  I have used this cap before.

3)       Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4.  My distributor has always been
installed 180 out of phase by the previous owners, and the wiring is
adjusted.

4)       Vacuum advance disabled, plugged,  timing set to 10 BTDC.

5)       Dwell set to 35 with a dwell meter.

6)       Coil primary is 2.9 ohms, I have two to chose from.

7)       New wires.  But I measured all of them anyway and they range from
2-4 Kohms depending on length.

8)       New points, condenser

Car hasn't run since September.  You can hear that it really wants to start,
but stale gas ( who puts in Stabil in September?) and a crankcase full of
20W-50 in a 25F garage aren't helping.  I am still iterating between timing
and dwell settings, recharging the battery overnight.  Presence of spark, as
indicated by an inductive timing light, seems to be very sensitive to the
dwell setting.  Dwell is spec'd at 35 +/- 3 , is that still a good range?

Would a little starting fluid help matters along?

Anything else I can do to get it going?  I have fuel flow as I verified by
breaking the carb connection and cranking the engine.  The carbs were
rebuilt last year by Joe Curto so I am thinking that carb issues are less
likely than finicky electrics.

The TR250 has a single width timing chain.  Are they prone to stretching,
and how often are they replaced?  I have no idea the status of mine,  I am
just thinking about things that can go wrong.

Thanks, Steve