Re: [6pack] TR250 starting issues

To: "Steve Lindquist" <lindquistse@charter.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR250 starting issues
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:25:45 -0500
Steve,

As long as the starter is turning over the motor it can then be one of two
things - lack of fuel or lack of spark.

Fuel
1. Place a rag under the fuel pipe connection between the carb fuel pipe and
the fuel pipe coming from the pump.
2. Disconnect the pipe from the connector hose.  If fuel spills from the
pipe it may be a good sign but continue on.
3. Place the end of the pipe coming from the fuel pump into a disposable
container such as a paper or plastic cup.
4. Have someone crank the engine.  Fuel should start flowing from the pipe
into the cup.

If no fuel than I would suspect the fuel pump (possibly torn diaphram) or a
clogged fuel filter.  Using a glass see-through inline fuel filter makes
this check very simple and cleaner.  If fuel flows from the pipe then
reconnect to the carb pipe and check the spark next:

Spark
1. Remove one plug wire, push a large enough Philips head screwdriver into
the boot for it to be held by the plug clip
2. While holding the very end of the plastic screwdriver handle (emphasis on
PLASTIC) bring the steel shaft of the screwdriver about 1/4" near a metal
part of the engine (I use the front lifting eye and #1 plug wire).
3. Have someone crank the engine for several seconds.  A strong spark should
be seen jumping from the screwdriver shaft to the engine metal as the
starter turns the motor.

If no spark or a weak spark, and considering all you've done so far and it's
all still in
good shape, then possibly it's a bad coil, bad wire from the coil to the
cap, or a grounding issue with the points.  Double check that everything is
where it's supposed to be as far as insulators on the points.  Check
resistance on the distributor lead wire (it should be near zero).  I've also
heard of new condensors being defective so that's another item to consider.

It can get more involved if everything else checks out but this would be a
good start to troubleshooting the problem.

Greg Dito
CD6250L
Chapel, Hill, NC