Re: [6pack] tr6 wheels

To: john doe <rccpl1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] tr6 wheels
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:46:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, john doe wrote:

> gm all 18 racing .com are selling what appear to me as the same as
> panasport

WHO??

Sorry - I  tried putting together lots of combos of gm all 18 racing.com
and came up empty.

The most common Minilite replicas out there are Panasport, but there's a
LOT of folks with Superlite (vtoperformance.com), Koenig (model name
Rewind) and ARE even re-released the Silverstone which was pretty much the
original Minilite replica back in the day.

Those are all reasonable wheels although to my untrained eye the Panasport
is the strongest construction of the bunch.

> has anyone delt with them or know of the quality i'm thinking
> of going with the 16's would i need spacers any help appreciated thanks

If you go to 16's, you should not need spacers UNLESS you get something
other than zero offset or perhaps up to about +12mm offset,

If you do wind up with spacers, you can use spacers up to about 3/8" and
still get a few threads' engagement with the lugnuts (assuming you don't
get wheels with very thick castings). Any more thickness with the spacer
and you MUST lengthen the studs.

16's are larger diameter than 15's (sorry for the obvious), so the
"normal" interference point uf the upper a-arm becomes a non-factor.
Larger positive offsets will get you into possible interference with the
front sway bar (only at full steering lock) and with either / or the outer
edge of the rear trailing arm and the upper bump stop "hump" on the rear
inner wheel well.

Assuming 16x7 rims, I'd recommend 225/60-16's for the tires. These are
withing a percent or so of the original tire diameter. They're a lot wider
(close to 2") than stock, but they will transform the handling. Really.

> ralph from ny

regards,
Bob from Boston
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2009       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489