Re: [6pack] Yoko Avid H4S Feedback

To: Mitch <ms6453@optonline.net>, "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Yoko Avid H4S Feedback
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:29:09 -0700
        Mitch:

        I am using the 205/70-R15 size. Great performance (admittedly I seldom
drive
when it is wet or snowy). I think the important thing is that I use stock
steel wheels, and there is no rubbing or compatibility issues for the
suspension. It is less clear that the 215 width tires will avoid interference,
but some members seem to be happy with that size. If you are using non-stock
wheels, all bets are off because of offset and/or width differences.
        Also, I had to get a spare because when I purchased my car the spare was
missing completely. The 205 width tire is a bit wide to fit in the spare tire
well comfortably, although a bit of maneuvering will get it in there. A tire
that is 10mm wider than mine would probably not fit at all without trimming
the liner boards, and even then your tire cover will not seat properly. My
cover is marginal (the latch does not function because the cover cannot seat
fully) but that is a minor complaint.
        If you opt for leaving the spare at the stock size, you may have
drivability
problems if the new tires and your spare differ in rolling diameter very much,
should you ever use the spare. If you are running a LSD differential, you can
overheat it severely by running different size tires on the rear, and running
different size tires on the front will adversely affect handling. I suppose if
all you did was limp to the nearest tire center to get your flat repaired, you
would be fine.

        Just my $0.000002 worth

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette