Re: [6pack] Different Toyota Brake upgrade???

To: Jim Hurley <jimhurle@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Different Toyota Brake upgrade???
From: Hugh Barber <tr6nut@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:20:31 -0500
Jim,

I have these rotors on my TR6 (I'm the one referenced in the outdated
link in your other email).  I did not originate the idea - its
referenced in one of Kas Kasner's TR books.  I don't think it will give
you any greater stopping distance than the non-vented Toyota caliper
conversion (there's some dispute whether its any better than the stock
TR caliper).  It will, however, give you greater ability to stop
repeatedly without fade under racing conditions - which is why I did the
conversion.  I eventually did away with the Toyota calipers and
installed stock calipers with a spacer between the two halves of the
caliper (our Girling caliper is the same "type" as used by a British
Ford Capri and vented conversions are popular for those cars, so you can
use the same spacer on our calipers), but that's a story for another
post.  Bottom line, its cheap (I can get rotors and get the machining
done for the same or less than the stock TR rotor) and it works.

Hugh Barber
'73 TR6
Stafford, VA