[6pack] Differential Carrier Bearing Shims

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Differential Carrier Bearing Shims
From: "Brian@asmoothmove.biz" <brian@asmoothmove.biz>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:33:09 -0500
Does anyone on the list know if there were standard sizes for the
differential carrier bearing shims? I've measured all of mine as I
disassembled it for a rebuild and find most are .003, .005 or .010; however
there some that measure .011 and .0055 and .006. I tried to remove all
traces of matter from the shims before measuring and I've also tried to
minimize measurement error (am using a calibrated micrometer). TRF lists
only the three sizes mentioned in the second sentence and I am inclined to
believe my oddballs started life as the ones listed, but who knows? I cannot
re-use the original shims.

My goal is to take out the annoying clunk caused by excessive spider gear
backlash with thicker shims and change out all bearings (except the pinions
- I know better). Surprisingly, the crown and pinion are in very good
condition.

Brian J. Alwin
1972 TR6 CC79085

6pack@autox.team.net