Re: [6pack] Compression readings

To: robert rudolphi <robertrudolphi@yahoo.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [6pack] Compression readings
From: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:04:10 GMT
Robert---The compression test readings you show are very high, esp. for the '74
model which has a relatively low CR from the factory. If the head was milled
quite a bit at some time in the past, then this would account for these
readings. Ideally, compression readings shouldn't vary more than 10% among all
cylinders, but engines can seem to run well when outside these parameters.  If
a valve lash check wasn't performed before the compression test was done it
would be good to do so, then a re-check of the compression.
A compression tester isn't normally an expensive tool.  A leakdown tester is
quite a bit more. Both are good to have in one's toolbox.
None of this as anything to do with the distributor, of course.

Dick