Re: [6pack] 6pack Digest, Vol 5, Issue 3

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] 6pack Digest, Vol 5, Issue 3
From: Jimandruthhome@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:31:47 -0500 (EST)
Full-name: Jimandruthhome
Hi,

I have a good friend of 30 years, from whom I learned a lot about  cars,
especialy LBC's.  We met because my new to me, but 11 years  old and well
thrashed, 1971 TR6 had stumped me.

He had recently gone out on his own.  This was early 1980's, and he  worked
mostly on LBC's, but also on other cars from across the pond.  He  did a
fair amount of business with BMW 2002 tii owners.  They  had, if I remember
rightly, Bosch mechanical injection. He was, and is, an  unusually talented
mechanic ( we campaigned everything from a BMW 325is to an  IROC Camaro in
the, sadly long since gone, IMSA show room stock endurance  series).

Anyway, he was one of a very few guys in the NYC area who could tame the
Bosch mechanical injection without extensive factory training (he had none)
and  so got a lot of business on that score.  He was also adept at fixing the
 infamous, rotting BMW 2002 rear shock towers.

Maybe the Brits were right to be skeptical about the willingness of US
dealers/mechanics to deal with Bosch mechanical injection.  I know  Corvettes
had mechanical injection from way back, but were their injection  systems
Bosch?   I'm thinking that back in the 50's and early 60's  everything from
overseas was pretty suspect, at least re service, so either GM  had their own
injection system, or it was licensed from Bosch or another  overseas company
but the source was never mentioned out loud. Not a Corvette  guy, so just
speculating about that.

Jim Knight