Re: Starter not engaging

To: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Starter not engaging
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 06:37:49 -0600
Chris Mottram wrote:

> My starter spins but does not engage.  Used to be that
> I would push start, drive around, then next time it
> would work.  Not anymore.  What causes this? Is there
> a band-aid fix I can use until I take it off?
>
> Chris

Chris:

What is happening is the starter drive gear is not traveling along the
Bendix drive shaft to engage the ring gear. This is often caused by dirt
picked up as a result of attempts to lubricate, and the drive mechanism
should not be lubricated! (some people use graphite powder but should be
fine without lubrication). A bent shaft will also cause this problem
intermittently. Arthur's suggested "band-aid" will probably work
temporarily, but the problem will come back until you remove and
overhaul your starter.

I also use my home-made crank whenever I have starting problems, and
find it very useful for tune-ups as well!

Ron Tebo