Re: That darn TRANNY leak

To: Tony Leeming <tleeming@island.net>, Alpine List <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: That darn TRANNY leak
From: chuck nicodemus <armorseal@iccom.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:57:51 -0700

Tony Leeming wrote:

> Well, if you can't get it out in situ as I suggest, you can drop
> the rear end down as Jim suggests ( protect the firewall with a
> piece of wood).
> It should come out with a long screw driver also. It won't matter
> if you damage it, eh?

Well back to the saga, I have removed said seal . The darn thing wasn't
damaged prior to removal it certainly is now. I didn't have to dropthe
tranny to get it out it was just reaching the darn thing. Two lost
reground screw drivers to make tools.

> Given your experience doing this work recently, it is probably
> only a couple of hours work for you.

Three to be exact!!   (

> Seems odd a new seal would
> leak.

I did find out the problem. The DPO had instead of " Boring out the new
bush to fit (as it says in the book) " He simply minded!!!!! removed
1/16" metal from the shaft, thereby reducing the size of the shaft on
the original, and had a smaller ID seal in the old tranny. My
predickament was old shaft /new orignal seal and new bush. The bush fit
some what loose and the seal felt OK.  Then drive a 1,000 miles and the
leak started.
Thus the saga will end , now to remove the back of the tranny and bore
out the bush to fit properly.  and boy am I POed at him for that one.

> Where did you buy it?

Got a new one reordered from Rick ,,,,,NOT his problem for sure.
Cheers chuck
Rob and Jim I'll not be coming up this week end for the BD party .