Starter Problems Redux

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter Problems Redux
From: "The Office of K. Patrick Wheeler" <tokpw@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:14:56 -0700
Followed with interest the recent discussion of cleaning the starter
solenoid to fix the annoying and periodically embarrassing failure to start.
Tried it myself (it really is a 20 minute job) and had a question.

There were two areas on the solenoid cylinder that looked worn down and
shiny where it appeared something had been trying to catch and was wearing
the metal instead.  Was wondering if I should try and find a replacement or
if some amount of wear was what other people had found and if this was
normal.  Also, what would be the best way to clean the inside of the
solenoid channel, I wanted to use Brakleen but was concerned I'd be messing
something else up in there.  Tried using a rag soaked in brake cleaner and
it sure came out looking rasty.

-Patrick Wheeler
1968 SV, Richmond, CA

p.s. with the wife's Porsche in the shop the last month or so I've been
'forced' to drive my Alpine every day during the nicest summer I can
remember in the Bay Area.  Been giving Alpine rides at lunch to all my
co-workers.  May Stuttgart stay back-ordered just a little while longer and
may the shades of Lucas allow me just a little more time before the next
disaster . . .