5 speed conversion info LONG, so delete if not interested

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: 5 speed conversion info LONG, so delete if not interested
From: Paul Almjeld <palmjeld@home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:16:05 -0500
Hi All:  If the number of e-mails I've received is any indication, there
is a LOT of interest in finding a suitable 5 speed tranny for our
Alpines.  I've tried to answer each of the individual e-mails requesting
information - I hope no one has been overlooked.  Allow me to post the
following for all of you - this should answer those questions I've
received most often:

1) I used a 5 speed tranny from Toyota.  The particular model I used is
referred to as the 5 speed MA/61 Supra transmission.  The 5th gear is a
.783 ratio.  In my application with 3.89 gears and 71 inch tire
circumference it provides 11 mph for every 500 rpm - thus 3000 rpm gives
me 66 mph. Many of the Toyota 5 speeds come with .85 or .86 5th gears.
For them you will get about 10 mph for each 500 rpm with 3.89 gears and
71 inch tire circumference. The Toyota 5 speeds are widely used and
readily available.  My cost was about $100, though I did have quotes up
to $250. Shop around.  You can visit the gear ratio information by going
to the following web site:
http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/paradise/ratios.html

2) I used a conversion kit provided by Conversion Components, Ltd. in
New Zealand.  The kit is very complete, and includes the bell housing,
the pilot bearing bushing, pilot bearing, throw out fork, bearing,
clutch disk and pressure plate - even the new speedo cable.  The kit is,
for the most part, a bolt-on conversion.  My cost was about $640 US,
with air freight shipping, plus customs. I had to hire a customs agent
to act on my behalf at the airport since the tranny was located in
Minneapolis and I had no time to get there myself.  Total cost for the
kit, shipping, customs, etc. was about $760.00  Was it worth it?  You
Bet!  You can visit the web page of Conversion components, Ltd at the
following address: http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/.   Colin at CC, Ltd.
was very responsive to all my queries and concerns.

3) I found a used drive shaft at a local recycling center and had the
Alpine drive shaft modified to accept the Toyota yoke.  Drive shaft cost
me $100 - modification cost me $50.

4) The Alpine speedometer works with the new, supplied cable, but is not
accurate.  I solved this dilemma in the short term by modifying and
installing a speedo head from a Toyota Celica that had the same tranny
as the one I used.  It doesn't look vintage Alpine, but it is
functional.

5) Total cost was about $1000.  It came to more than I'd hoped, but the
additional customs costs contributed to at least part of that.  Your
cost will depend on shipping and customs, plus the cost for a tranny,
drive shaft, cross member (if you choose to go that route), etc.

6) I'll finish up my article soon and submit it to the editor at TE/AE
and also to Jan and Ian for their web page.  I'll include jpeg "photos"
with the article.

Hope this info helps.  Again, if you do have additional questions, I'll
be glad to respond.

from sunny South Dakota

Paul