Re: 5 speed conversion info

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 speed conversion info
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:52:06 -0700
Just to add my experiences with the toyota 5 speed conversion....

I have a humber sceptre (basically a 4 door saloon version of a series 5
alpine) which a previous owner had done the transmission swap as supplied by
Conversion Components in NZ. I have had no problems with it. other than the
box is getting a bit noisy in the bearings, and as such will have to come
out for an overhaul. They are apparently good for 200hp, and many cars in NZ
run this conversion with no probs also. Many of these vehicles are classic
racers, so they get a good hammering. As I did not install it myself, I can
not comment on its ease of installation, but as I said, I have heard of many
cars undergoing this transformation without any difficulties.

The rear gearbox mount was fabricated by the previous owner also. I don't
know if there is a standard adaptor plate available, but I would suggest
that this be confirmed. I ended up destroying the one he made by axle
tramping wildly of the start line when doing a 1/4 mile sprint in it once,
and had to make another myself. The modded bell housing looks very good.

The 5th gear in this box is the 0.86 ratio, but my diff is 3.55 giving good
overall gearing. 1st gear is however very low, at 3.58 (the standard box is
3.35, and the close ratio alpine 3.122) It makes for quick getaways, but the
jump to second is a bit bigger than I'd like. However, at low speed where
there is an "excess" of power, this is not too much of a problem. The other
gear ratios are 2nd: 2.022, 3rd: 1.384 and 4th 1.000

I am however going to remove the box and return the vehicle to standard, as
sceptres are quite rare and I would like to keep it original. The feel of
the toyota box is also not as nice as a sunbeam all synchro box in good
condition, however this is the prob in that most sunbeam boxes are no longer
the silky beauties they once were. I also prefer the "romance" of the
overdrive on the sunbeam boxes. The toyota 5 speed will probably find its
way into my race car, where its obvious strength, and reliable changes will
be of most use. I expect that it is also significantly lighter than the std
gearbox/overdirive combination.

Greg