Re: Stiff Shifting; Rear Gear box seal; Weird shift fork tunnel

To: mbgardner@core.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stiff Shifting; Rear Gear box seal; Weird shift fork tunnel
From: CANISDOG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:35:09 EDT
In a message dated 9/13/2000 6:59:27 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
mbgardner@core.com writes:

<< The spline was rusted a bit and gave me some trouble installing but
 I just kind of knocked off the rust with some emery cloth instead of
 polishing it on a wire wheel.

Mike,
The seal on the splined shaft needs to ride on a nice smooth surface.  A
rusty surface could damage the integrity of the "sipped" surface of the seal,
causing leakage.   And it sounds as if it has.  I don't know if you can
remove the tail shaft housing without removing the tranny.  I thinks Nanzig
asked me this question once.  You might check with him cuz I think he tried
it.

Paul
Colorado