Gearboxes

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearboxes
From: Brent Kasl <kasl100@navix.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:51:49 -0600
Piners-Several questions regarding the use of my original S2 gearbox.
After removal and inspection, I have slight wear on second gear which on
occasion casues some jumping out of gear. The whole of the box looks
good with no obvious signs of poor wear. We are again testing the OD
which was installed and think we have discovered the reason why it did
not engage well last year. Their are no second gears-first gear clusters
to be found new as I can tell. Knowing their is this slight problem, do
I call it good and live with it, or are their other fixes to look at?
Synchro springs look good as do the shift fork. Is it possible to
install a S5 all-synchro with my OD unit to fit a S2 setup? Any advice
appreciated. Surely, considering all of the Alpines on the road, there
has been some like problems from owners, and also, it is hard to believe
their is not some gear parts that can be swapped amongst other British
cars. Thanks Brent