Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

To: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Subject: Re: Should I or shouldn't I?
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@home.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:02:52 -0700
Well put Lou,
That's why they are called "accidents". Otherwise it would be an
"on-purpose". As long as we 'mortals' are driving, these things are
going to happen. As an accident investigator/reconstructionist, I've
found that probably 60% occur due to driver inattention or a momentary
distraction and 40% due to a traffic law violation (not counting DUI,
which would be spread equally between the two). Defensive driving
reduces your likelihood to be involved in the later, and to some
degree the former, although any driver, I REPEAT, ANY DRIVER can be
distracted or be inattentive at a critical period, and that's when the
accident occurrs.

Further, as Lou points out, the vehicles can be repaired/replaced. The
occupants cannot!
    Carl
    Washoe County Sheriff's Office, Patrol Division, Traffic Section,
        Major Accident Investigation Team
    CSRG/HSR-West #247 series 1 Sunbeam Alpine
                                          Lotus 61 formula Ford