Valve adjustments

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve adjustments
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:02:43 -0700
So, I bought another car and have been looking all over the place in the
documents for a chart like the Alpine book showing how to adjust the
valves.  On the Alpine Workshop Manual, the chart says:
Adjust No. 1 exhaust with No. 4 exhaust fully open
Adjust No. 2 inlet with No. 3 inlet fully open
and so on for all 8 valves.

Last night, I finally found the section in the other car book.  All it says
is:  "Adjust in firing order."  That's it.  So, what's the deal?  I guess
that translates to "Adjust Inlet No. 1 with Inlet No. 1 fully open."  Why
isn't the Alpine the same?  Why don't you adjust the Alpine valves with the
valve in question fully open, rather than look to another?

This also brings me to another thought.  I have the Holbay H120 cam.  I
have always used the stock Alpine order of instructions.  Does anyone know
if ther might be some slight difference in the peak cam positions such that
looking at Exhaust No. 4 to adjust Exhaust No. 1, and so on, would be the
wrong method?  I can see why it should not be different.  But, I thought
I'd better inquire.

Thanks.
Jay