Re: [Re: brake lights]

To: Robert Dobrowski <rsdslp@juno.com>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Re: brake lights]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 26 Jul 2001 22:21:35 EDT
I can see the problem regarding heat in the old Healey's-the entire socket is
encased in a rubber boot and the glass lens seals it in.  Great to prtect it
from water but not good in letting heat out.  The Alpine is somewhat similar
and should suffer from the same problem more or less.  Fortunately in the Minx
both of the lights are actually exposed and light up the trunk, so heat isn't
is not an issue here.

Jan Eyerman
1959 Hillman Minx Series III DeLuxe
1973 Hillman Avenger DL

Robert Dobrowski <rsdslp@juno.com> wrote:
I have been running halogen brake light bulbs in my Tiger for a year now
with no lens or wiring problems.
The increased heat does not seem to be a problem.
There has been quite a bit of discussion on the merits of halogen bulbs
on the Healey list.
Many people claim that there isn't enough perceived difference between
the intensity of the tail light and the brake light.
I have to partially agree with that assessment
I have one tail light lens that is slightly fogged which clearly shows
the difference between brake and tail lights.
The other lens is a newer lens and is much more difficult to discern the
light intensity difference through.
I'm still not sure if using halogens is the best idea.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:41:30 -0400 bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net writes:
> Gents:  I am going to be rewiring my SV with a kit from E-Z Wiring
> Co.,
> hopefully the name is not misleading.  At any rate, a hot rodding
> pal of
> mine suggested put a 30A brake relay in the system, using the
> original
> Rootes relay as a pilot relay.  Then, putting halogen lamps in the
> brake
> light sockets to get improved visibility.  Has anyone tried this?
> Am I
> going to go flambe?  Bill

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!