Pebble Beach, some Alpine content

To: "[unknown]" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pebble Beach, some Alpine content
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:01:46 -0400
Hello Jay, et All,

I was there too, and made it to just about all the events that weekend had
to offer! It's too bad I didn't know you were going because I'm sure we
crossed paths at some point over the weekend!

I met Steve Alcala (sp?) racing his Sea Foam Green Pointy Finned Alpine at
Laguna Seca. He was in the middle of swapping out a blown engine, so I
tried my best to stay out of his way. I stopped by the next day and found
the car back together and back on the track. Great going Steve!

I've got some pictures of the event at my website, but unfortunately, no
Alpine pics. Sorry guys, I'm kind of obsessing about Ferraris these days!
http://www.tomyang.com/cars/ferrari.htm

It's gear head heaven. A "must go" at least once.

Tom

Message text written by INTERNET:Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
>We just got back from Carmel where I went to the Pre-Historic Races, the
Pebble Beach Concours and the Christie's auction.   At the pre-Historics,
saw Birdcage Maserati's, Ferrari Testerossas, Ferrari Daytonas, Bugattis,
Millers, 356s, early 911s, Abarths, Mustangs, Cobras (no Tigers), Lotus 7s,
Jaguar 120, D type and C type, Aston Martins, Morgan (which was actually
cleaning up many bigger cars), MGA (smallest Brit, no other MGs, Alpines,
TR's, or AHs), Bentleys,   - lots of other great and historically
significant cars.  The Pre-Historics had maybe 2 dozen spectators.  It was
great to walk around the pits.  I did not go to the Historics, which are
much more crowded and I don't think you can get into the pits, but there
certainly is more excitement and commotion and vendors.

There was also the Christies car auction.  Wild stuff there too.  I even
bid on a car, but lost.  I think it went for way over real market value.

The Concours itself was pretty neat.  Lots of very fancy people and cars
(many over $1,000,000).  You could go right up to the cars too.  As with
any car show, some owners were very talkative and nice, others were very
standoffish.

The best shows were free - going to the fields where the cars were being
delivered and talking to owners and owner's employees who were prepping the
cars, the auctions, and just seeing neat cars driving around.

I highly endorse going there, even if you don't want to spend the $100 for
the concours ticket.

Jay<