Re: Series V: Ground Strap

To: "Vic Hughes" <v.hughes@austarmetro.com.au>,
Subject: Re: Series V: Ground Strap
From: <carlynneracing@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:25:39 -0700
Bill,
As Vic says, that strap grounds the engine/starter; completing the
electrical circuit for the starter, ignition and generator. On my series 1,
it connects to the firewall with a bolt and to one of the engine/bell
housing bolts.

Assure the strap is in 'new' condition. If not, go to any auto parts store
and get a new one. If your attaching one end to a painted surface,
sand/clean all the paint off and assure a rust free mating surface. You can
spread an anti-rust gel or paint over it after attaching it, but you want as
good a ground as possible. On the other end that you attach to the
engine/bell housing, clean all paint, rust, grease, goo and gunk and assure
this surface is also as clean as possible.

I don't claim to be an "electrical expert", but experience has taught me
that most electrical problems begin with poor connections, poor grounds and
corrosion. Good luck.
    Carl