RE: volt meter

To: "'Bill Mounce'" <bmounce@bellatlantic.net>,
Subject: RE: volt meter
From: "Fisher, Michael L" <fisherml@BATTELLE.ORG>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:15:41 -0400
Volt meters go in parallel and ammeters go in series. That means all of the
current (60+ A) could go through the wiring to the ammeter. Very little
current goes through the volt meter (because of its large internal
resistance). That's about it for safety.

I wired my ammeter because the DPO had it wrong. As long as you use wire
capable of carrying the max current your battery and alternator put out
(i.e. don't let the smoke out of the wires!), you should be fine.