Re: Vin # Question

To: <SerIIAlpine@netscape.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vin # Question
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:16:36 -0700
Eric,
     I read the registry and it makes no mention of this. I have had 4 cars,
all of them were series 2 that had some form of SAS262 or something like
that just prior to the serial number. Everytime I have taken the car to the
ADOT (DMV) to get the title transferred, there has been some confusion.
Luckily, the last portion of the serial number is correct, meaning, the VIN
is B9104185 and the title is SAS262B9104185 so I have been able to get them
registered here in Arizona easy enough. As with anything, it is mostly the
luck of getting the battle ax that isn't extra crabby that day. I have often
thought that it would be nice to figure out what makes those postal workers
come to work and kill off all of their co workers, then maybe we could get a
few that work at the DMV to do the same.
     The only common thread that I can find in all of this is that all of
these cars were originally sold in California (as near as I can tell). One
of the cars was sold at Larry Reed sports cars and I still have the license
plate surround. How the SAS262 ended up in front of the VIN is a mystery to
me since there is nothing on the VIN plate to even suggest that those
numbers even could be made from any combination. On my very early series 1
cars, they stamped the body number on the vin plate, but those numbers are
not close. Who can know? Lou