Weber Carbs

To: "'Alpine List'" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weber Carbs
From: The Lees <jsrlee@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:22:11 -0700
I have a Series V, with stock dual 150 CD Stromberg Carbs, which were
rebuilt using the kits supplied by Sunbeam Specialties last year.
However, they are 38-year-old carbs, and the throttles need to be
rebushed, because they are sucking air. Makes it very hard to tune them.

Due to an unfortunate incident where my motor jammed up on me last year,
I am going to take my engine in and have it torn down and examined by
professionals. We had tried unsticking it using the pulley bolt, but it
was jammed pretty tight. While I was loosening the pulley bolt in early
winter, the engine became unstuck. Regardless, we pulled it out, and are
now ready to finally drop it of to be torn down and rebuilt, if it needs
to be.

We have decided that the dual Strombergs are just too much of a headache
to tune, keep synchronised, etc.  We are making the switch to Webers.
Or should I say, Weber.  I'd much rather prefer one carb than two.  The
main thing we are going for is reliability, not outstanding performance.
I've heard whispers and rumours of using a series 4 intake manifold, but
that's only if you're using dual Webers, correct?  Is my only option
paying $175 for a new intake manifold, plus the $230 for the carb? What
about throttle linkages, fuel fittings, and whatnot? Are they included
with the carb?

I know there was a planned feature on Weber carbs, and I tried looking
for a website dedicated to the conversion, but with no luck. Can someone
who had made the conversion just fill me in on the steps required?

Cheers,

Ryan.
B395000793LRX