Re: mking heater control bezels

To: fle426@northwestern.edu, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mking heater control bezels
From: PApple16@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:21:29 EST
I have spent many hours working with lucite and other plastics, and to add to
what Fred has said, a router works very well in plastic as long as you take
it slow. meaning cutting the slots could be simplified byusing a sharp router
bit and a router table with a fence. you still have to take small bites, or
you wil tear/melt/crack the plastic. it takes a little practice, but is not
that difficult. you coul also dish out the bezel the same way again being
carfull not to melt the plastic. Why I brought this up, is the fact that a
high sprrd router bit leaves much less of a scracthed/ hazed surfface making
it much easier to final polish. I have been able  to polish out almost all of
the router marks with a small amount of 600 wet sandpaper, and a product
called mirrorglaze for plastic boat windshields. It might be worth the try.

( i used to make lucite jewelery display cases for a design company quite a
few years ago)

Paul in RI