Re: More Temp. (and smoke) Problem Details

To: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Subject: Re: More Temp. (and smoke) Problem Details
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:37:21 -0800
Theo Smit wrote:

>If it's dense white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and if you run
>anywhere near a 50/50 antifreeze mix, then you will be able to smell
>antifreeze in the exhaust, if that's what is causing the smoke. Any
>coolant overflow will smell of exhaust, if that's getting into the water
>system, via a cracked head or failed head gasket.
>
>You might still just have a problem with the coolant bypass - does the
>hose look kinked at all? With that little hose being bent at such a
>tight angle, it would be easy for it to get kinked nearly shut if it was
>in poor shape or if the proper molded hose wasn't used in the first
>place.
>
>Good luck,
>Theo

Theo:
I admit I did not look at the bypass hose while this was going on this
morning, although before I started the car, I did squeeze the hose and
there seemed to be some water in there. It is a molded hose (from SS)
but it dates from the engine install, about three years ago. It does not
look like it could squeeze shut on its own. I haven't smelled exhaust in
the coolant overflow, but then I haven't been specifically smelling for
that either. Maybe I should order a replacement hose, just to be sure.

Steve Sage